Friday, August 4, 2023

Northwood

This is the 26th station I have visited on the Metropolitan line.  The Metropolitan railway was extended to Northwood in 1887.
The station is small with nothing to make it stand out from the  rest. As with the last few stations, only the Metropolitan line trains stop here.





I did find Labyrinth number 9/270 without too much of an effort.

I could see that the exit  was above the railway lines so I left the platform via the staircase.



More posters from the 100 Years, 100 Artists, 100 Works exhibition  celebrating 100 years of the London Transport symbol, the roundel which was celebrated in 2008.  This poster is titled 'Alphabet of Underground Soul'. by David Blandy.

 
Not a very attractive frontage  to the station. I wasn't really expecting to find much of interest here and I wasn't wrong These small towns are attractive places to live with good access to transport and other facilities but  as far as finding places of interest, I think I am asking for too much.









Across the road from the station is a wooden carving with the town's name.







In the centre of the town is the war memorial. This memorial was unveiled in 1921 to remember all those who died in WW1 and has the names of 103 local men who gave their lives  engraved on it.
 It has been revised more recently to include mention of WW2.



The roads close to the war memorial have a variety of shops and cafes. 




 
These bubble tea shops seem to be springing up all over the place. Bubble tea is a cold drink typically made with black tea, milk, some type of sweetener, ice and the 'bubbles' which are tapioca pearls. Lots of different varieties of the drink have now been created which might include fruit juice, flavoured syrup and apparently 'popping' bubbles. I am a tea drinker but I am yet to be convinced that tapioca is an improvement to my morning cuppa. 








I walked down one of the roads and round a corner into a cul-de-sac which was dominated by the Northwood Methodist church. 

To the right of the church was this building which houses the Ark Synagogue.
On the other side was the local library.







I wandered around the surrounding roads and found a leafy pleasant suburb. I didn't see anything to make it stand out but nor was there anything wrong with it either. There was a variety of housing with the majority being family houses. No sign of any high rise blocks here.
A couple of days after visiting Northwood it was featured on the TV programme Location, Location, Location as having some expensive and much larger properties in a very convenient suburb of London.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like the stations on the end of the metropolian line are not so interesting to see but the real explorer go through as you are doing and who knows what kind of treasures are still hidden in the next exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an odd looking building for a synagogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boring areas would indeed be nice and quiet places to live but that's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit boring indeed, but still require wealth to live there. 103 names from the Great War, probably mostly agricultural workers at that time. How places change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I hate technology!
    A bit boring indeed, but still require wealth to live there. 103 names from the Great War, probably mostly agricultural workers at that time. How places change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the wooden carving. I've tried bubble tea once and it was from a sachet that you can buy in supermarkets so possibly quite different than the real thing that's made from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this delightful excursion (and your visit to my blog). 103 names from the Great War must have meant that every family knew someone on that sad list.
    I am with you on bubble tea. I have seen it in various manifestations but am yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I read your title I mixed it up with Norwood but then I didn't recognize the station and realized that I was completely wrong. Norwood is the place where Dario still has his house which worth increased x 5 !! That must be an horrible drink must be very "healthy". Janeke Pis is quite new from the 80th and not well known.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you are not skimping on your challenge even if the places aren't very interesting. I've never tried bubble tea but being a "builders" tea lover I'm pretty certain I wouldn't like it lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the wooden carving :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.