The building above the station known as 55 Broadway was built as the headquarters of London Underground. Completed in 1929 it was the tallest building in London at 174 feet. It was designed by the architect, Charles Holden who designed a number of tube stations but this was considered to be his best.A number of decorative features were carved into the stone facade by young artists Eric Gill and Eric Aumonier as well as Henry Moore and Jacob Epstein.
This one called 'Day' by Epstein had to be altered as it showed a naked boy. Apparently it was more acceptable when one and a half inches of penis were removed.
'North Wind' by Eric Gill
'West wind' by Moore (photo from Wikipedia). This was Moore's first public commission and the only one to show a figure in motion.
1920s roundel sign above the Broadway entrance
It is a landmark art deco building, a forerunner of the London skyscrapers. It does need a clean though.
Across the road from the station is The Feathers public house. The name commemorates the feathers of the Prince of Wales.When the pub was built, the then Prince was to become the future Edward VII who reigned from 1901-1910. The present Queen's great grandfather.
Across the road is The Ministry of Justice, a major government department. It is responsible for the courts, prisons, probation services and attendance centres
Many of the houses have a wooden canopy over the front door. Notice the different faces above the door and windows.
At the end of the street is a statue of Queen Anne (1665-1714) erected in 1705
The old street sign still in situ.
The houses further done the street are much more modest in decoration. This is the house where Lord Palmerston was born in 1784. He was 70 when he became Prime Minister and was still in office when he died aged 80.
There has been some kind of property here since the 17th cent. Buckingham House was created by the Duke of Buckingham in 1698 when he bought the land and decided to build a much bigger property. It remained in his family until 1761 when George III bought it as a private residence for his family. When his son George IV became king in 1820 he wanted Buckingham house transformed into a Palace, putting John Nash in charge of the work. During the last few years of the King's life , Nash enlarged the house into a large U shaped building and included a triumphal arch. Although it was considered a masterpiece, on the death of the monarch Nash was dismissed for overspending. William IV who succeeded his brother as king had no interest in leaving Clarence house and moving into the Palace. It wasn't until the reign of Queen Victoria that the Palace became a Royal residence. However Queen Victoria was not happy as the Palace was too small for her expanding family. In 1855 the Palace was redeveloped with the addition of a new wing. The triumphal arch was moved to the north-east corner of Hyde Park and is known as Marble Arch.
Outside the Palace is the Victoria monument, made from Carrara marble. The monument stands 25 meteres high and was built to commemorate her death in 1901. Surrounding the monument are statues representing courage, constancy, victory, charity, truth and motherhood.
For these events The Mall is lined with national flags.
Today the Palace is the London residence for Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra.
Next to the Citadel at the corner of The Mall and Horse Guards is the National Police Memorial, commemorating police officers killed in the course of duty in the UK.
The memorial has a glass chamber with a book listing the names of those killed. The pages are turned every two weeks by the Police Memorial Trust.
St James's Park is the oldest Royal Park in London. In 1532 Henry VIII acquired the land as a deer park and built the Palace of St James on the land. But it was Charles II who was born in St James's Palace in 1630 who redesigned the park.with avenues of trees and lawns.
This cottage was built in 1841 as a home for the bird-keeper of the park. Later it became a store for bicycles and is now used as offices.
From the Methodist Hall I walked round the corner on to Tothill Street and back towards the station. There is so much to see within a short radius of St James's tube station. Turning left onto Broadway, it was a short walk to Caxton Street to have a look at Caxton Hall.
Built in 1878 it was originally Westminster Town Hall. Its claim to fame and the reason it is a listed building though is its role as a meeting place for the Suffragettes. From 1907, the Women's Social and Political Union held a 'Women's Parliament' here before every parliamentary session. After which they would march down the road to the House of Commons in the hope of handing a petition to the Prime Minister asking for the vote to be given to women. It was many years before that happened in 1918.
During the WW2 the building was used for press conferences by Winston Churchill and his Ministers.
Opposite Caxton Hall is Christchurch Gardens with a sculpture by Edwin Russell in the form of a bronze scroll. It was erected in 1970 as a tribute to the Suffragette fellowship. It reads.'...to commemorate the courage and perseverance of all those men and women in the long struggle for votes for women who selflessly braved derision, opposition and ostracism, many enduring physical violence and suffering.'
Also in Christchurch Gardens is this strange sculpture by Glynn Williams as a memorial to Henry Purcell (1659-1695) an English composer. The sculpture is entitled 'The flowering of the English Baroque'. Purcell was a child prodigy but died at the age of 36.
At the end of the road you can see this wonderful building, The Greycoat Hospital, a comprehensive school for girls.
'These buildings are the United Westminster Almshouses erected in 1882 following a scheme of the charity commissioners dated 11th July 1879 for the consolidation of the almshouses in Westminster founded by the rev James Palmer 1656, Mr Nicholas Butler 1675 and Mr Emery Hill 1708. Further particulars of this charity are inscribed on the stone tablet above.' Inscribed on a stone tablet below the above.