Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Northwood Hills




I am anticipating a small station in a rural setting surrounded by hills. The previous station was a wonderful surprise with its medieval buildings so I am excited to see what this one is like. 

The station had a couple of floral displays brightening up the platforms.











There are just the two platforms at this station. One for northbound and the other southbound as it only services the Metropolitan Line. This numbers 25 on my list of Metropolitan stations visited.
I had to go back and find this station's labyrinth. Now that I'm on a mission to find the first one I don't want to miss any on this section of the line.






The station opened in 1933 and was followed by much building of houses over the next 20 years or so.

Outside the station were enamelled wall murals showing a rural setting.


It wasn't as rural as I thought but the row of trees down the centre of the High Street leading to more trees and a hill in the distance gave a first impression of maybe more rural than urban.

The usual map that you find outside underground stations had been removed for updating. This was unfortunate as I rely on these maps to give me some idea of anything of interest nearby.

 
One shop stood out as being a bit different as you don't often see a guitar shop on a small High Street. This one not only sold guitars but also a large selection of guitar effect pedals. With more time and nerve I would love to have gone in and played around.





I had a late start this morning and it was already midday so I decided to have lunch somewhere before starting my walk. This cafe looked very pleasant and I was assured they had a brunch menu. Only three other tables occupied so it seemed perfect. I ordered a cheese and tomato omelette. My food arrived after a 20 minute wait.


The fluffy omelette I was expecting turned out to be two well cooked, hard pancakes with cheese and tomato in the middle. Yuk! When I mentioned to the waitress that this was not an omelette she didn't say anything but brought the menu back to me which showed that omelette was under the heading 'Crepes'. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. My fault I suppose for not spotting the heading. After tasting this strange concoction I no longer felt hungry and left. (yes I did pay as it was my mistake).


The Namaste Lounge used to be called the Northwood Hills Pub. Sir Elton John started his career here at the age of 16 by playing here on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. He was paid a £1 per night plus whatever was given as well as  a whip round amongst the public. Pictures of the pub are featured on some of his album covers. The pub is now an Indian restaurant.

I moved swiftly on and spotted the library, always a good source of information about the local area. I had just found the local history section when I was told they were closing and I would have to leave.








I continued walking through the village and followed the road uphill which led to a private golf course.


I was now high enough to see above the roof tops.


I walked back down the hill and did a circular walk back towards the station. Other than houses there was nothing else of any real interest.


This green area is known as Hog's Back and was originally part of Hundred acre farm until the mid 20th century when it was sold to Hillingdon Borough Council. By the 1950s the building of housing estates had begun and by the 1960s houses had been built on three sides of the open space. Since then this area has become a site of importance for Nature Conservation and will not be built on. 
At the end of the road were three houses with flat roofs which look unusual. I thought they might have been listed but I could find no information about them.

Turning left I arrived back at the station. Although a pleasant place to live it didn't make much impact on me. I expect I will remember Northwood Hills for having one of the worst lunches on this Underground Challenge.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry about the lunch. And why did it take 20 minutes to cook that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still an experience this trip with some unexpected results like that crepe. That white house at the end reminds a bit of the bauhaus style of building. The next station will surely be better again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad that your omelette was not an omelette, and it sounds like it wasn’t good even as the alleged crepe. I just returned from a visit with my daughter and she made me an omelette to die for, with a host of interesting ingredients. And it was ready in mere minutes and hot from the skillet to my plate. Better come with me next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. What a fascinating outing! If I were to be forced to travel through the maze, I would be found curled up somewhere. Last time I went through a corn maze, I got lost and the boy scouts had to guide me out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers at the station, until the next staff come along and have no interest. I shouldn't be so negative. The art is nice too.
    I didn't know you had an interest in guitars. Can you strum?
    I am not sure how a crepe omelette is possible. We lunched with a friend yesterday and I chose a Spanish omelette and I correctly didn't expect a fluffy omelette.
    The strange houses at the end of the post would look more at home at a seaside looking out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It surprises me that the pub where Elton started is now an Indian restaurant. I think he must have bad memories of this place, otherwise he would have bought it. At least that's what I think. I have seen his movie. It's amazing that he is still alive ! and others who always pay attention to their health, die early !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The anonymous is me ! It's really annoying now to comment. I stated that Blogger to make it easy becomes more and more complicated since I started in 2006 !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When compared to the Pinner Station ( which I just also read) this would have been a disappointment . To be fair though, any ordinary station would have been in my opinion. Northwood Hills probably isn't all that bad really (except for the lunch; I share your opinion on that.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memorable - but not necessarily in a good way. But still an interesting place to see. Hope all is well. SM

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bit boring indeed. Most folk I suspect do not mingle here, merely hiding in their homes avoiding contact with others. Many pubs are becoming Indian places these days. I suspect these homes contain many would be Eltons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up with the stations you've visited.
    I like the flowers at this station.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.