Sunday, August 20, 2023

Moor Park



This is the 27th station I have visited on the Metropolitan Line. The last couple of stations didn't inspire or surprise me in any way. They were just very pleasant suburban areas. I am determined not to leave out any stations so it was not with any great enthusiasm that I set out today to visit Moor Park. I had never heard of this station before today so assumed it would be similar to previous stations.
 
 The station has been open since 1910, originally as Sandy Lodge, changing to Moor Park and Sandy Lodge in 1923 and then to its current name in 1950. It was completely rebuilt in 1961, increasing the number of platforms to four. Two for the northbound trains(one for slow/semi-fast and one for fast services) and two for southbound trains into London British Rail and Network SouthEast trains stopped calling at Moor Park from 1993.













I looked everywhere for the Mark Wallinger labyrinth print and there was no one to ask, so I think I might have to return on a weekday to solve that mystery.
Another poster celebrating 100 years of the Underground Roundel.


The map outside the station gave me a good idea of the area. The station was surrounded by three golf courses.
In fact the station building is also a pedestrian subway to the Sandy Lodge Golf club. Moor Park is just outside the Greater London area and is in Hertfordshire. It was previously on the Great Central Rail which meant that passengers could travel much further field. You can see from the photo that the station is surrounded by woodland.






There was a small wooded roundabout in front of the station which led  me round to a row of shops. 


Not the usual selection of shops but more businesses. There was an accountant, dentist. estate office, Haute Couture (appointment only), Post Office, butcher and two restaurants ( neither open at lunchtime). No sign of any hairdressers, nail bars or cafes here.
Outside one of the shops was a defibrillator. These are popping up in lots of public places now.


I walked down a couple of roads which were lined with huge trees, massive detached houses with large gardens. There were very few pavements just grass verges. Before I wandered round aimlessly for a couple of hours I thought it wise to ask someone if they could point me in the direction of anywhere of interest. I finally found one gentleman who was out for his daily (fast) walk which I interrupted. Of course, I had to explain my reason for wandering around this exclusive area with its security guards and no cars allowed to park on the road. He lived on the estate and confirmed that other than the houses and golf courses there was nothing else nearby. The next town is not that far away but I still found it odd that this was neither a large village nor small town but a very exclusive private residential area.








The gentleman took me round a few roads to see some of the houses. 
















The name Moor Park comes from the Moor Park Mansion, a Grade 1 listed Palladian building set within over 300 acres of landscaped parkland. Originally built in the late 17th century for the 3rd Earl of Bedford. Moor Park was opened as a golf club in 1923. The Rickmansworth Urban District Council purchased the Mansion and surrounding acres of land in 1937 to stop any further development which was then leased to the golf club. In 1994 the golf club purchased the freehold and the Moor Park heritage Foundation was established. The gentleman I met showed me where the golf course was and I decided to take a look. I walked along the drive leading to the clubhouse but after reading two signs telling me specifically that walkers and cyclists were not allowed. I decided to turn back and go to the next station on the line.

I felt this was a very strange visit. It was very different from any other station I've been to with its lack of schools, churches and cafes. I felt uneasy knowing that security cameras and guards were probably following my every move. 


10 comments:

  1. Yes, nothing but golf clubs and big houses there. I delivered there in the 80s, few people to be seen, occasional guard at barriers, we always got through, but nothing of note. I wonder how bored some of these natives are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are defriballators here too just about everywhere, apparently there's an app people can download showing where the nearest one is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems a fence is not really required to keep people out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess not one of your favorite stations yet but why a station there? Must have to do with influence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of Moor Park either. I wonder how much use the station gets? Hopefully you were able to make something out of your day at the next station but you do seem to be disappearing into suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to a certain area in Waterloo ! Big Brother is watching you. Even the houses look alike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How odd! I don't care how exclusive your neighborhood is or how amazing your McMansion*, it seems to me you'd still need shops, churches, meeting places, doctors, schools.) *although I've never lived in either that kind of neighborhood or that kind of house, so who knows maybe those who do think differently )))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suspect the house prices would make my eyes water. I (slightly) surprised that your were not stopped by the police as you looked around. Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. The houses looked very, very expensive :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely not a fun stop -- What it is is a wealthy persons retirement compound. Looks like some certain neighborhood areas in Florida (only those would probably be gated and maybe even guarded). Those places are not particularly interesting either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.