Sunday, December 6, 2020

East Putney

This is the 44th station on the Wimbledon branch of the District Line.( I visited this station before being in lockdown#2). The station exits onto Richmond Road about half a mile from Putney main rail station. As the journey by tube would require me to pass through 13 Underground stations I decided to arrive via a different route. To try to minimise my contact with other people I caught a National Rail train from Waterloo which is just 3 stops to Putney and then a short walk to Putney East tube station. Cheating? Slightly but I still visited the station (just didn't get on the tube).
However, I didn't have a great introduction to the area  as not one but two young men jumped the barrier into the station to avoid buying a ticket. I was aware that one was immediately behind me as I was trying to find my pass to get through the barrier and then he would have pushed his way through with me. Being slow was to my advantage as he then moved and jumped the next barrier. There was a guard on duty and I can quite understand why he didn't challenge them. The incident will have been captured on CCTV and possibly followed up by the transport police.





Two bee keepers put these planters on the platforms in 2016. Their aim was to increase forage for urban bees. Although it was a small project, it was a popular idea and other stations asked for planters. The idea has now become the Bee Friendly Trust, a small charity that is supported by Transport for London and Network Rail. 



After photographing the platform and station I asked the rail worker of any places of interest near the station. 'I can't think of any!' he said.  Not deterred I left the station determined to prove him wrong.








On either side of the station forecourt are these buildings with the name of the station indented in large letters.Not sure of the age but they have an art deco style about them.



The railway arches opposite the station all looked busy with various businesses.

 I walked along a very busy road with its mixture of shops and residential buildings. 


I turned off the main road onto Oxford Road with this large Victorian Prince of Wales pub on the corner.
From the road I could see Putney National Rail station from one side and the bridge going into East Putney tube station from the other side of the road.





A little further on was the Putney School of Art.

The Putney School of Art and Design was originally founded in 1883 and the building has been here since 1895.
This road sign caught my eye because it was so small and was white lettering on blue.


This is the more usual street sign which is at least four times the size of the one at the other end of the road. I was disappointed not to be able to discover any information about the small sign's history.
At the end of the road was a rail bridge over the Thames to the previous station at Putney Bridge. Alongside the rail bridge was a footbridge so you could see the trains passing at close quarters. This is one of only two places where the Underground can be seen going over the Thames.



I couldn't resist going partway along the path to gaze at, The Thames, my favourite river.


I walked back the way I came and followed the sign for the Thames path towards Putney Bridge.

The last time I walked along this part of the Thames path would have been in 2013 when I walked the length of the Thames path from the Thames barrier to its source 184 miles further on in Gloucestershire. This is Craigmyle House. I remember looking around for information back in 2013 but could find none. This time I spent time on the internet determined to find out a little more about its history.
On the wall was the sign of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. It is one of the oldest institutions of Western and Christian civilisation. It is a lay religious order of the Catholic Church and has been around since 1113. The order  has permanent observer status at the United Nations. It is neutral, impartial and apolitical. Today, the order is active in 120 countries caring for people in need through its medical, social and humanitarian works. It helps to provide medical assistance and basic equipment for survival during natural disasters. The order was founded in Jerusalem in the 11th century and has a long history of service to the vulnerable and the sick.  Its full name is the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and Malta. The voluntary St John's Ambulance service has its roots in the order. 


I continued down the lane towards the river passing a couple of sculptures on the way.  This one is named 'Motherfigure'. It is one of nine almost life-sized figures by the sculptor Alan Thornhill. They were installed in 2008 and form the Putney Sculpture Trail.












I turn the corner and come out at these steps/seating giving you a fine view of Putney Bridge to the West and a view of Fulham Bridge (the railway bridge) to the East.

Continuing along the Thames path you come to the recently developed area of Putney wharf.
This was once a thriving wharf and evidence has been found of breweries, small factories and builders' yards some dating back as far as the fourteenth century. The only industrial building to survive is the Boathouse which was part of a former timber yard and has now been converted into a pub. This former industrial wharf  has been transformed by redevelopment over the last 10 years or more. It is now mainly residential with a riverside square and walkways linking Putney High Street to the river. 

I followed the path round to St Mary's church which is situated at one end of Putney Bridge. This is the earliest surviving building in this area. The tower dates from about 1450 but the rest was mainly rebuilt in 1836. 
The clock and sundial were added to the Tower in 1792.





The church was restored in 1836-7 and again in the 1980s after a fire in 1973. The church is most famous for its use as a meeting place in October and November 1647 for discussions by Cromwell on the future constitution of the nation and were referred to as the 'Putney debates'. The meetings were held in the brief period during the Civil Wars when Putney was at the centre of political power under the New Model Army. 












There was a cafe attached to the church where I stopped for a cup of tea. As the church was open, I had a look inside. There was a mother and baby class going on at the back of the church so I didn't have free rein to wander where I liked.

 Nicholas West, Bishop of Ely under Henry VIII built a chapel here in the early sixteenth century.


The chapel survived the Victorian restoration and the fire in 1973.


 

Across the road from the church is this impressive building with a lion on the roof. Built in 1887 as a public house, it is a Grade II listed building. It began as the White Lion and has had a few different names but has been closed since 2015.



I was now on Putney High Street. It was busy with shoppers but also beggars. With the lack of people in Central London maybe they are trying their luck further out of the city.

Another attractive building is this three storey library, built in 1899. it was funded by Sir George Newnes whose name is above the door.

This extension to the library was built in 1998.

Another building of note is 'The Railway'. Originally an hotel erected opposite Putney Rail station in 1889. It is now a cocktail bar, restaurant and party venue.



Despite the misgivings of the railway worker I spoke to at the beginning of my visit to East Putney I found much to interest me.

13 comments:

  1. Things of interest to us not so interesting to some others. The area has some fine old building. The church ceiling is very nice. I am very surprised that Sovereign Military Order of Malta has its roots in Jerusalem. Good work by some to encourage bee life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The church ceiling is very similar to the ceilings at Strawberry Hill House (gothic mansion) in/near Richmond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your photographs. I have dreams of a return trip to England -- in place of the one that was cancelled this summer -- in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your closing sentence is how I was going to start my comment. Still smiling ruefully, though we’ve had similar experiences in our travels and explorations). Loved the bee planters and glad that idea is spreading ...so needed. We are drawn to the water wherever we go and it is easy to believe that The Thames is your favorite River , I still remember loving every second we were able to spend with it! Still Not to easy for me to imagine your amazing walk along her a few years ago. I could maybe do the one you did in this post ))). Beautiful and interesting buildings and their history as always. I wondered about the mother and baby class you mentioned... my granddaughter is missing contacts with other mothers (due to Covid) ... her toddler doesn’t care !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm mad about the arches in the church - gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for finding some interesting sights and lovely buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I enjoyed your walking tour, beautiful buildings and statues. I love the church and stained glass windows. The Bee planters are a great idea. The Boathouse looks like it could be here near the Baltimore Harbor. Great collection of photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I'd be loving to do this walk - heavens know when I will get back to the UK sob sob. You found some beautiful architecture - bee planters are a great idea :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us on another walking photo safari. Lots of urban delights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The clock and sundial from the 1790s were very impressive, and remain so now. The Railway Hotel is also still impressive, but it is much younger (1889).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do seek out historical and places of interest on your walks above the underground. The statue trail sounds fun. Grear shot of the two trains on top of one another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another lovely history lesson. Hope the new year brings a lot more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do searching for out ancient and locations of hobby in your walks above the underground. The statue path sounds fun. Grear shot of the 2 trains on pinnacle of 1 another.


    this geelong seafood blog is great.
    geelong seafood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.