Monday, September 23, 2019

Elm Park













This is the fourth station I have visited on the District Line, the longest line on the tube network. It is a small station with just two platforms and a sloped exit rather than steps. The station is painted in its original red and cream.
As I left the station there were a couple of men, one on either side of the entrance/exit asking for money. I am used to seeing people begging near the stations in Central London but was surprised to see it happening here in the suburbs. I must admit I felt a little uneasy but did engage in conversation with one of the young men. He gave me a 'cock and bull' story about needing money to get to a hospital as he had been mugged and had broken his cheek bone. His face looked remarkably free of bruising or swelling. On my walks I never dress to impress as I like to blend into the background, nor do I carry much in the way of valuables. So, as I get free travel, I was able to say quite truthfully that I had no spare money but wished him well. He didn't query my answer and was polite to me. However, he was foul mouthed to a gentleman who walked past and ignored him. I gladly support homeless charities but refuse to give to people begging on the streets, nevertheless I always acknowledge their requests and engage in conversation if they want.

It was therefore interesting to read an article in the Elm Park library that in 2003 the station  was selected as a test site in London to have classical music played in the station as a measure to combat anti-social behaviour and calm crowds. This initiative was such a success that over 40 other London underground stations have now introduced the system.

The Elm Park garden city and the new District line station were officially opened in 1935. The building of 7000 new homes was to be  built on 600 acres of land at a cost of £3,500,000 by Richard Costain Ltd after the purchase of Elm Farm in 1933.
With the coming of the railway these new villages and towns were easily accessible from London. Costain knew this and realised he needed a station on the new housing estate. He negotiated a deal with the railway company to build a station at Elm Park and have trains stop here. It was the last station to open on this line.


The garden city movement is a method of urban planning founded on a series of principles developed by  Ebenezer Howard (1850-1928).
His ideas included:
Mixed types of housing that are affordable for ordinary people.
Homes with gardens in healthy communities.
Opportunities for residents to grow their own food, including allotments.
Generous green space with surrounding belt of protected countryside to prevent sprawling developments.
Local job opportunities.
Public parks and tree lined streets
Recreational and shopping facilities in walkable neighbourhoods.
Accessible transport system.





There were lots of flowers around and tree lined streets with well kept gardens






The station was very close to all the shops.







St Nicholas church was built in 1955-6 close to a temporary church that had been erected in 1936 to serve the new housing development. That was demolished in 1934.

In June 2009 a brand new library opened its doors. The roof is fitted with solar panels. The sedum roof improves insulation, absorbs some co2 and other pollutants and is also a wildlife habitat.










There is a lot of green space around Elm Park


To the North of Elm Park  is Harold Lodge Park. The River Ravensbourne cuts through the park into the first of two large lakes, one of which is used for boating. The park has a number of facilities including children's playgrounds, hockey and cricket pitches and tennis courts. To the West of Elm Park is The Chase Local Nature Reserve.











So after a couple of hours walking around I made my way back to the tube station and home. There wasn't much more to see other than rows of houses. The tube was quite empty and quiet. As usual on the way home I write a few notes about my walk. After a short time I  was aware that   I was surrounded by a group of teenage boys sitting either side of me and across the aisle from me. I hadn't noticed that the train had filled up at the last couple of stations. Fair enough, I could have done with a bit more elbow room but not to worry. I smiled at the boy on my right who was drinking an energy drink. He grinned at me so I asked if he was going anywhere special. A music festival and then onto the after party he replied. I then noticed that they all had bottles of energy drinks. On close inspection I noticed they were filling them from small bottles of spirits!  It is illegal to drink  alcohol on the tube but I wasn't going to be the one to challenge them. I engaged in small talk with the lads opposite mainly about which one of them would remain sober enough to make sure they all got home safely in the morning. Although I was the only white female at  this end of the train I felt at ease, which was just as well as there was an older man a little further down the carriage drinking from a bottle in a brown paper bag. Another man who was obviously drunk was leaning against one of the doors. It was 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. Is this typical of the District Line, I wondered. Hopefully not as I still have another 37 stations to visit.

12 comments:

  1. I never carry cash when I'm out and about. That way when I say to beggars I have no cash, it too is an honest reply.

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually have a couple of hundred dollars in my wallet. I am going to reduce that to about twenty and become a card user, even for making small purchases that I once thought was absurd. It won't take long for me to get rid of cash. I think women often get it easier from beggars, regardless of you being polite and the other man ignoring him. Anyway, perhaps not the most interesting area to visit but a rather nice and peaceful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I usually do not carry cash with me. It is not a nice feeling to be uneasy around beggars. I have had a few of them yell at me because I did not have money to give. The garden looks beautiful, this area looks pretty. I hope you have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful green area, all the parks and flowers and love that library. It’s interesting that you mention street people and fellow passengers who I guess I might say disdained the rules ... I’ve wondered if you ever encountered people problems in your travels. We have a lot of homeless on our streets here ... I don’t carry cash and don't engage in conversation either. Unfortunately, I don’t feel safe to do so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Begging is quite bad here in NZ and the majority of people doing it are running scams getting large amounts of money for their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elm Park sounded like a nice garden city but your experience with beggars and drunks has changed my mind about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating photo journey with you and wonderful idea about the classical music ~

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. I love all the planning that went into some of the towns about mixed and affordable housing, and green spaces and especially public transport. Where I live, if you depend on public transport, you are in trouble!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you were not harassed by the young man. It can be unsettling though. Our friends in Perth, often go for a train ride just to see where they end up. Happy travels and thank you for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a nice area but perhaps not the best of people on the train that day. I think you have to keep your wits about you when travelling on any public transport and yes carrying very little cash is a good move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree. Blending in yields great walks such as you show here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.