The station opened in 1904 but the village still had fewer than 100 inhabitants by the time of the next census in 1911.
A planned tower and extended wing were never built leaving the station smaller than planned. In 2011 the station became a Grade II listed building.
Across the road from the station was this large open space, the Ealing Central sports ground. This was just one of a number of open spaces or sports grounds in the Borough.
From the station I turned left towards the Great Western Road to see the Hoover building. in the 1911 census there were 100 inhabitants listed for the village of Perivale. After 1930 the purchase of open land became available and manufacturers built factories on Western Avenue including Hoover (vacuum cleaners) and Sanderson's (wallpaper). Residential estates followed and by 1951 the population had grown from 100 in 1911 to 10,000.
This beautiful art deco building was designed by Wallis, Gilbert and partners and due to its prominent position on Western Avenue is a well known London building.
The Hoover factory opened in 1933 and work on various extensions continued for the next few years. Vacuum cleaner production ceased in 1982 and the Hoover factory closed. But ten years later it reopened, having been restored with the ground floor converted into a Tesco superstore with the entrance at the back of the building.
Inside the store it unfortunately looks like any other store with no art deco features at all.
On the other side of the Great Western Road is this Grade 1 listed church of St Mary the Virgin. With parts of the building dating back to the 12th C this is one of the oldest churches in Middlesex. The church closed for worship in 1972 and it is now looked after by a group of volunteers who organise orchestral concerts here.
It was like two worlds colliding. Standing in the ancient graveyard of a 12thC church whilst 10 metres away 6 lanes of traffic thundered past.
On the other side of the church is the River Brent and Ealing Golf Club.
Before you get to the hill, the road takes you over the Paddington Branch of the Grand Union Canal. It is about an 8 mile walk into London on the tow path.
Horsenden Hill is the highest natural point in Ealing standing at 84 metres. It is made up of woodland, meadows and wetland. The site also has historical importance where archaeological digs have discovered activity back to Neolithic times.
The Ballot Box pub was so named because canal workers known as bargees used the building as a polling station. Built around 1867, it was demolished and rebuilt in 1943 but the entrance is original.